“Desperate to understand where we had gone wrong, I went over everything that had happened since I’d stepped out of the bathroom less than twenty-four hours earlier, and when I remembered the panicked messages I’d left on his phone, I began to wonder if I was the one in the wrong. But I knew I wasn’t, I knew it was Jack’s fault, it was just that I was so tired I couldn’t work out why.”-Grace
Women are naturally made to be do-gooders, to be peace makers, to not cause trouble, to always close the divide which is one of the reasons I was pissed while reading this book. 😒
I’m not a psychological thriller fan but I’m trying to read across different genres this year with the help of the book club and its been an exciting experience!
Behind Closed Doors is a story about Grace, a 21st Century, 32 year old woman with a great job and her younger sister, Millie. Millie is the unplanned child of her parents who is disabled. As a loving elder sister, Grace has committed herself to the care of her sister and has told every man they are a package deal.
Grace lives a great life for a single woman and finally meets John, in less than 6 months, they are married and the real John is revealed.
This book was exciting to read, a page turner, you just need to know what would happen at the end. With these great points it still had a lot of holes, it was a bit predictable too, it was annoying at some point, I can tell you I became angry and irritated with Grace before I even hated John but at some point I had to accept there was nothing much she could do about her situation.
This book makes you crazy to reach the end, why does John follow Grace everywhere? Are they really so perfect? Is their marriage as beautiful as they claim?
A thrilling and fast read, would recommend it for everyone especially the psychological thriller lovers.
As always I have lessons to share from the bookclubs’ discussions!! What’s a book without lessons?🙃 Let’s go!
1. All that glitters ain’t gold people, look around, observe, listen to your instincts.
2. Do not be so much of a loner, have true friends who know when things aren’t okay with you, maintain healthy relationships.
3. Learn to be independent, especially women, yeah I said that🙄, do not fix your whole life on someone regardless of promises made, some people ain’t worth it. Protect yourself ladies, be smart and avoid being desperate the best you can!
4. As citizens in the world, I know the world is going sour, sadly, there’s no love but you can do your bit, help those in need, if someone is in trouble freaking help in the best way you can.
5. Marriage is a beautiful institution but it isn’t t your only source of happiness and fulfillment
6.Finally, No Human is perfect!!
I think I have ranted enough, adios!! 😂😂